Volunteers are essential to the success of the Stockade-athon Road Race. The event needs 100+ volunteers to ensure safety along the 15K race route, provide fluid replacement at 3 water stops, and to assist runners at packet pickup, the finish and refreshment areas. Volunteers also allow the Stockade-athon to keep entry fee prices reasonable and to provide a quality race experience for all participants.
If you do not plan to run and would like to volunteer please contact Liz Chauhan, the Stockade-athon Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In general we begin volunteer recruitment on October 1 and provide a detailed assignment via e-mail by November 1. All volunteers receive a special thank-you gift and are invited to a post race party with a complementary lunch.
A brief description of our volunteer needs is provided below:
- 55 course marshals are needed to stop vehicular traffic on park interior roads, the Stockade historic district and on residential streets...pre race meeting at Central Park Band Shell. Police cover all major city intersections and high traffic areas. Course marshals receive their assignment, a small map, a traffic vest, flag and general instructions in a pre-race meeting at the Band Shell. Course marshals who have worked prior years and have general knowledge of the race course are most desired but no prior experience is required. The primary responsibility is to stop vehicular traffic from entering the course route as the runners pass by. This is a very important task to ensure runner safety along the route.
- 25 fluid replacement volunteers are needed to manage 3 water stops along the course. Paper cups are filled 2/3 to the top and set on tables in advance of the race start. Water stop teams coordinate handing cups of water to the 2000 plus runners, filling replacement cups, and cleaning up used cups after the race participants pass. This is a desired task for volunteers who enjoy teamwork and interaction with the race participants.
- 8 volunteers are needed for refreshment set-up at indoor facility - Proctors / Key Hall.
- 8 volunteers are needed at the finish line to manage finish line water for the 15K race and the Children's Run that follows.
- 10 volunteers are needed for early packet pickup on the day before the race. A desired task for those who plan to run the race.
- 10 volunteers are needed for packet pickup on race morning. ?The choice for volunteers who like to be busy early on race morning prior to the start of the race.
- 5 volunteers are needed for the Children's Run to help distribute finish medals and goodie bags to the 100 plus children.